Friday, February 20, 2009

My unrequited love for Savannah

Before you jump to conclusions, let me say first off that I am not talking about some sort of skanky adult film star. I know that "Savannah" is a very bogan name and tends to conjure images of Boogie Nights type folk. However it wasn't always the way!

I am talking about the city of Savannah, Georgia.

A place I have been in love with since I was a little girl and I saw Driving Miss Daisy, and then later when I saw the wonderful Forest Gump. I also read about it in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I can't quite remember what got me hooked initially but for as long as I can remember I have had this almost stalkerish fascination with the place.

I have never been, the closest I came to Georgia was New Orleans but that isn't really that close anyway. My husband was going to book our honeymoon in Savannah as a surprise but we ended up deciding together to go to The Maldives and Dubai instead. Getting to Savannah from Sydney isn't all that easy and it wasn't a great time of year.

You know when you see a great dress or a stunning pair of shoes when you are out shopping and for whatever reason you don't buy them and then for months (or maybe in my case) years later, you pine for it. You build it up in your imagination as the best damned dress ever created. The dress that instantly makes you a size 0 supermodel. The most amazing, comfortable, beautiful shoes ever to grace the earth. In reality the dress was not cut for you, may not have even been your size and the shoes weren't even leather inner. *gasp*

Well this is probably what my Savannah idea is like. I'm sure that when I do finally get there, it will be pretty ordinary. For now, however, I would like to share with you a few lovely pictures of this amazing place and you can see why it features in my daydreams...

These photos below are from the galleries of Savannah Photo Outings:











And these were featured on Mayakashi.net:




3 comments:

  1. I am visiting Savannah in July, I will take lots of pictures! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I'm not sure I can still be your friend now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these photos. I have always had a thing about Savannah as Forrest Gump and Driving Miss Daisy are two of my favourite films.

    I am obsessed with small town America in general. There is something so quaint about it and I'm really a small town girl stuck in a big city body.

    Mr. J and I are planning to drive across the US once I have finally finished my degree and he has finished his masters, and I definitely want to stop in to Savannah.

    ReplyDelete