Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What's for Dinner Wednesday? Easy Steak

With all of yesterday's dramas I have been feeling rather exhausted today.
Didn't help that the poorly Tinker was up for a few hours in the night with a fever.
So I have not gone to any trouble at all with today's Wednesday recipe.
I searched for something that allowed me to make a quick and easy dinner without a trip to the supermarket this afternoon.
This is what I found:






Thanks to the clever folk at Taste.com today's recipe is:

Beef Fillet with a Quick Red Wine Sauce

If you don't have all of these ingredients at home I'd be surprised. It will take you a few minutes and if you are using great quality ingredients even a meal this basic will be delicious. Unless you turn to watch Yo Gabba Gabba while cooking and supervising some hard core crayon action by the toddler and then maybe you will overcook your steak. Not that I've done anything like that lately... *wink wink*

Ingredients:


2 tbs olive oil
4 x 180g beef fillet steaks, trimmed
2 onions, halved, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g small button mushrooms, trimmed
2 tsp tomato paste
2 tsp plain flour *Actually I would recommend corn flour instead but it's up to you.*
1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
1 1/2 cups (375ml) good-quality beef stock
Mashed potato and watercress, to serve*

*I haven't got any watercress in the fridge so I am using fresh spinach leaves tonight*

Method:


Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tbs oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Season steaks and cook for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a tray and cook in oven for 2-3 minutes for rare; 5 minutes for medium.


Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium-low heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and mushrooms and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in paste and flour. Add the wine and stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-6 minute or until well reduced. Season.


Remove pan from heat and return steaks to pan to just warm through in sauce. Serve steaks and sauce with mash and watercress or salad.

3 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! I tend to prefer spinach to watercress, so I would probably go with that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete