Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mrs Mop

Ok so the Americans have Roswell, Australia has the Dingo that stole Azaria and the Brits have Princess Di's death ... and I have a conspiracy theory of my own.

It may not be as flashy or as interesting but I tell you, it is sooo real. On the edge of your seats?

Mops. I reckon that all mop companies have colluded to pull a massive swifty over me and every other housewife who likes a clean floor. They want us to buy a new mop a month. Not just a new head but an entirely new mop.

Back in the day, I had a very efficient cleaning company who'd handle all manner of mop related issues. I had nothing to do with how my floors were cleaned, they just got done. Yes I paid for this to happen but that was as far as I involved myself. However, when I was pregnant and unable to continue working anymore (long story, think spew and lots of it and then think how that might work with gaol cells and courtrooms and you get my drift) we put our house on the market in order to get us a "family home".

Suddenly how clean my floors were and how shiny they looked really mattered to me. I became fixated on mopping. I was sure that each potential buyer that came through and didn't make an offer was horrified at the non-shiny floor. So I decided to mop the floors a couple of times a day as well the myriad of other chores the nesting pregnant person deems essential.

When we moved to our current home I brought the mop with us. It was an Oates brand sponge head mop. Just in case you were wondering. It died just after my daughter was born. So I went to the supermarket to buy a replacement head for it. They didn't have the right one. So I went to KMart in the same mall. Nope, they didn't have it either. Frustrated and hot because it was January and I had a newborn attached to my chest by way of a sweat factory I mean a Baby Bjorn carrier, I just decided to ditch the Oates mop and buy a Vileda mop.

Obviously I wasn't in too much of a new baby daze at that moment because I was smart enough to buy every single replacement head the store had for that particular mop. I thought I was quite clever. That lasted a while. Until recently when the last mop head went to its final resting place. I went back to KMart. Nope they didn't have that head anymore. So I went to the supermarket, Bunnings, another KMart, BigW and two different branches of Woolworths. None sold the stupid Vileda head to fit our mop. I refused to be beaten again.

So I drove all over Sydney on the Easter weekend in search of this stupid mop head. I refused to be beaten by the conspiracy. Woolworths, Bunnings, Coles, Target, KMart and even The Reject Shop. I tried them. I rode that wave. And I was washed up.

Sad and beaten I limped home and admitted defeat. My husband looked at me like I had completely lost my mind. There was a time when I'd be broken by a really difficult criminal case or some awkward office politics but no not this time. I was broken by a mop. A mop conspiracy I tell you. And a big one at that.

So I walked up the road and I bought one of those old fashioned cotton mops at my local grocery store. The next week I realised I needed a squeezy bucket for it. Without the squeezy bucket you are just dragging a dirty muddy flood through your house. Because I left the mop soaking wet for a week it was ruined and I had to throw out the head and get a new one.

I went to Bunnings and bought a special squeezy bucket that came with two free Oates mop heads. Came home, tried to fit the free head onto the grocery store mop and of course it didn't work. So I went to Kmart. Nope no corresponding Oates mop there either.

So what did I do? Did I fall on the floor in a heap crying at KMart? No I did not. I stood tall. I bought 2 new mops. Yes two. One an Oates one, one a Vileda, I bought 8 replacement heads. A large Swiss Meringue and a large latte. I sat on the massage chair (you know the types at the shops where you pay $2 and sit on the vibrating chair like a freak?) and I ate my meringue and I drank my coffee and then I left.

I came home, kissed my husband, hugged my daughter and smiled. I was practically new age. I was practically one of those revolting happy positive idiots that read The Secret and other self help books. I was not broken and bitter because the mops had beaten me. I had surrendered myself to the mop conspiracy and I was no longer broken. So what, I have to spend a small fortune every month on mop supplies. I do not sweat the small stuff. I am a housewife extraordinaire.

46 comments:

  1. You are Funny !!

    I gave up on a clean floor a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to make you feel better.

    I own 6 (yes, count'em, six) different mops, none of which any, and I mean none, of the maids I have employed in a loooong while approve of.

    I no longer walk around the house barefoot. Thank Zeus i'm not responsible for the health of a toddler.

    Bet you feel better now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an utterly brilliant piece of writing! Smiled throughout. Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious!! I am very glad that someone or maybe even a bunch of people made your blog "a blog of note" I always use the swifter at home and it seems to work well so far. I always have to buy some floor cleaner that I pre mix and spray before mopping but I doubt it gets the job done like you bazillian mops. Congrats on giving in to the theory, you are very brave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has so happened to me!!! Weird. It is a conspiracy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! Thanks this was fun to read! Made me smile. And yes, I believe you are right. Or they make the dang things so flimsy that if you are trying to get a real good mopping in they break, conspiracies all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WTG. You are the funniest person. I love you big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. C, what on earth are you doing? I have had the same mop since 2002 (ok, so i stole it from my mum when i moved out of home), and have never had trouble getting replacement bits for it. Its one of those vileda strip ones (you know, the ones that look like an octopus when on the floor). I recently upgraded to a pink version (with matching bucket) and my old heads still fit.

    Not that I mop often these days...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree too. Someone needs to make a new better version without overpricing the thing. Someone needs to do something about this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog on the blogs of note, thought i'd take a look! hehe...i am a big lover of conspiracy theories and i thought you were really going to tell us a good one...alas, the mop conspiracy would have to do!

    Very funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved it. i have a "thing" for mops too. hubby wants a H2O mop. I'm not convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the same conspiracy theory is going on with computers... Our tres expensive 4 year old PC - our archaic, ancient, elderly dinosaur of a contraption, loped through its fourth year on a dying breath. FOUR YEARS. Hmm. Something's going on, and it aint just mop heads...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe it is because I am a man (kind of)that I do not feel these mop stressors. Mops are for the weak. The swiffer type thing is the only way to go. Mops have too many strands, too much can go wrong. Find yourself in the uniformity, the consistency, and pure pleasure, of the swiffer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was simply too good a post. When I was dogged by these problems early on, I thought I must be stupid to sweat it out on these silly things. Now that I know, it is universal, I am feeling a lot better.

    My husband would look at me like I had lost it, when a certain cleaning product no longer appeared on the shelves. I would move from shop to shop looking deranged. And would just not get how one dusting cloth differed from the other. I am beyond explaining lint to him!

    And you are a hundred % right. There definitely is a conspiracy.

    I have to admit something here. I actually bought a Floor wiper from outside the country! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the same way, I buy a new mop a month too.

    Funny, I thought I was the only retard that had not totally decided on what mop I would dedicate my life cleaning too...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant. That was hilarious - and I can so relate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel like I may get hit with a flying meringue for saying this, but they make mops with heads that go in your washing machine. . . [ducks]

    I enjoy your writing. Thanks for letting us all in on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad I am not the only one out there who can never find the proper replacement head for her mop! I was beginning to think it was just me. I actually started mopping my floors on my hands and knees with a rag.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your so funny
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was thinking this very same thing the other day!!! After my mop died, I went in search of the right head. The variety of mops and mop heads was mind boggling! I didn't end up finding the right head and bought a whole new mop! I would like to know what is the best mop on the market. I have a cleaner that comes every couple of weeks and brings his own mop. I must ask him what he uses as my job never matches his standard...anyway, I am secretly coveting those mop/slippers you showed us a few posts ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. See me mop: http://thebeetgoeson.blogspot.com/2009/03/everybody-mop.html

    Eastern European style.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are too funny! I read your blogs and I swear my day gets better! Keep up the good work & take care.

    Ijeoma

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's my floor that's against me. We've just moved to Oxford and are in a rental for now and the kitchen floor is made of the most dirt-attracting, sweeper- and mop-repelling substance known to man. It refuses to come clean and then sits there mocking me in all it's grossness. We may have to move just to get rid of the floor. Either that or rental be damned I'll just have to replace the flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your thoughts on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I shared the same fate for over three years, but recently vileda has been good to me, they provide mop heads galore.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey...
    must say - you are hillarious and a very fun loving person it seems.

    loved ur blog on mops hahah, very interestingly made.

    The phrase saying ""There was a time when I'd be broken by a really difficult criminal case or some awkward office politics but no not this time. I was broken by a mop. A mop conspiracy I tell you. And a big one at that."" is absolutely terrific.. and ur massage chair description, ahahahah i cant stop laughing.
    AL put together, u have a great sense of humour.. keep writing. gud luk

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am still laffing.

    Like someone else said, I thot I was the only one with the conspiracy theories. I have loads. The one am most convinced of is the 'pen against humans eternal war' and then the 'pc/printing/copying machines vs. humans in a hurry' eternal war.

    Yes, you never find a pen when you REALLY need one and then when you dont, there are hundreds of them lying around!

    And of course, why should these machines work when your boss is waiting for you????? Of course, they must jam, post an error or just keep blinking!!!!!!!

    Thanks for lifting up my soul. I need it. God bles you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have 2 boys. Clean floors are a thing of my past. I have a Bissell steam mop that I just love. Of course I figure by the time the cloths wear out I'll have to buy a whole new mop since I bought 8 of them. I've had it 5 years now though, so I'd like to think I beat the mop conspiracy this time.

    Here in the States, I swear, we have a vacuum cleaner conspiracy. I was buying a new vacuum every year for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never met a mop a liked. I have to use one of those push dust mops. I'd spray furniture polish on the floor and get after it. Well my husband quickly tired of that so now he handles the floor cleaning. Fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am loving all the mop comments, thank you much! I am so glad that I am not alone in my freaky mop world. As for me, I mop every single day. There is a lot of floor to cover here and with two doggies and a toddler, our floors do gather dirt quickly. I'm a bit obsessive about clean floors. I should have been born in Japan or Thailand. Yes I do have my cleaner who comes once a week and she does a more thorough job by vacuuming first and then mopping and then I tell her to finish with the swiffer so we don't have streaks. Pedantic? Parhaps but a clean floor is nice. Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think your final paragraph summed it up, It doesn't matter :) There are more important things to worry about it. I wonder, has anyone actually ever EATEN off a very clean floor?

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL! I have known about this conspiracy for years. I did as you did and have 2 different mops with extra heads purchased at the same time. None of which, by the way, clean the rotten tile floors well enough to avoid scrubbing the ugly grout...it is always ugly; I refuse to scrub it more than twice a year...hate it. Maybe we should carpet EVERYTHING and NEVER mop again!?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for writing this! Ugh. Mops. I walk through the kitchen with flip-flops because I'm tired of buying mops! Another conspiracy--at least in Texas--is the dishwashing scrubber things. I've wiped Target out of all their replacement heads so that I don't have to use the spongey ones!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I get it! Hate mops! Anytime you find one you like they don't make them anymore and guess what you cant find replacement heads anywhere! I got sick of mops and got a Shark steam mop. Actually it was a Christmas gift from my mother in law. Anyway it was great no cleaner just steam! And boy does it work! That is until my husband used it!!??... Now it wont steam? I hate mops! All kinds grrrr.....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Did you ever think of calling the manufacturer to order the replacement heads? Maybe you did, I stopped reading when I realized how long your story was, lol, forgive me. So what kind of mop do you own now?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely fabulous post! I think I know where all the good mops went - Mexico. Next time I see one of those GOOD ones I am going to steal it...back!
    Keep up the great work! Love from Texas.

    ExpatFromHell

    ReplyDelete
  37. Same thing with vacuum filters. I have to special order mine; 28 dollars. I paid 60 for the vacuum. Might as well just buy a new vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Expat from Hell - most of my mops are (would be in fancy ass italics if I knew how) from Mexico (see above, I own 6) and nope, still don't cut it. And yes, the superbly effective moving company in Mexico wrapped up several (some damp at the time) mops in Mexico and loaded them on a boat for five months. Hmm... all's I'm saying is they could have kept them, in Mexico. I would not have minded.
    I do seem to feel passionately about mops. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You need to get Tinker a pair of those mop kneepad thingys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very funny! I've been going through the same thing, but with vacuums. I buy a new vacuum for a couple hundred dollars, and it breaks and the piece that it needs is suddenly out of stock. I have three dogs, I can't wait for the missing piece, so I have to buy a new one. Now I may need to examine my Swiffer wet jet and see if it's doing as good as a real mop...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Funny! But why you don't think about this is the way those companies can be survived for so many years in current competitive era! They keep changing the models to raise the price or get the fresh look to be professional to attract the public. It is not only in the mop world, but also in many other stuff!

    That is why we need to fight for our live every day!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Brilliant post - I completely understand the pain of even the most innocuous objects advancing so fast that it costs a fortune to keep up. I can just about cope with the fact I'll be buying a blu-ray player in the next few months (to watch old films I haven't found on video or DVD yet), since downloading them has started causing problems with programs to watch them on changing. But I'm on the third water filter jug in five years - no fair!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ok I read this before and couldnt comment from my phone...i feel for you when it is time for mopping yet this was such a hilarious blog I had to share with coworkers...thsi even inspired one to create her own page just for venting.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hilarious! So can relate. For five years I was stay-at-home mum to my three daughers and I was addicted to my mop - I had an Oates which ended up as a Vileda - I even purchased the red Vileda bucket to go with it. But then - Enjo came into my life. The Enjo mop has got to be the best (and most expensive) piece of floor-cleaning machinery in the universe. I've mopped my floors perhaps 3 times in the past 18 months - I don't want to break it! Haha

    ReplyDelete